SUSPRE (Surrey University Sputter Profile From Energy Deposition) was originally commissioned by VG Ionex in the late 1980s
to help interpret dynamic SIMS spectra. It is based around the Projected Range Algorthm - formulated by Jochen Biersack -
as a solution to the Boltzmann Transport Equation. It has been demonstrated to be as accurate as SRIM for determining ion
Range parameters but is a much faster, only taking seconds to produce a result and can be used as a handy calculator
The basic formulation of SUSPRE can be found in the reference below:
Webb, R. P. & Wilson, I. H. An Extension to the Projected Range Algorythm (PRAL) to give Energy Deposition Profiles. in Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. Simulation of Semiconductor Devices and Processes, (1986).
The text of this reference can be found here.
The calculation of Sputtering Yields in SUSPRE was investigated and reported in the paper:
Webb, R.P. & Wilson, I.H. Problems using the Sigmund formula for the calculation of sputtering yields. Vacuum, 39(11-12), 1163-1165, (1989)
An expansion to mutilayered materials (not currently implemented in SUSPRE) was demonstrated in the following paper:
Webb, R.P. & Maydell, E. Comparison of Fast Algorithms for Calculation Range Profiles in Layered Structures. Nuclear Instruments and Methods, B33, 117, (1988)
The damage and implant accumulation models are based on a series of papers presented below:
- Carter, G., Armour, D.G., Donnelly, S.E. & Webb R.P. Energy Spike Generation and Quenching Processes in Ion Bombardment Induced Amorphisation of Solids. , Radiation Effects 36, 1-13, (1978)
- Carter, G. & Webb , R.P. The Accumulation of Disorder, Subject to Saturation and Sputter Limitation, in Ion Irradiated Solids. Radiation Effects, 37(1-2), 21-32, (1978)
- Webb, R.P., Carter G., & Collins R., The Influence of Preferential Enhanced Diffusion On Composition Changes in Sputtered Binary Alloys. Radiation Effects, 39(3-4), 129-139, (1978)
- Carter, G., Webb, R.P., The accumulation of amorphousness as a function of irradiation fluence in a composite model of disorder production. Radiation Effects Letters, 43(1), 19-24, (1979)
- Carter, G., Webb, R.P., Implant ion collection in the presence of radiation enhanced diffusion and preferential sputtering of implant. Radiation Effects, 43(4-5), 125-132, (1979).
- Webb R.P. & Carter, G., Difficulties in Deducing Disordering Mechanisms From Experimental Studies of Disorder Ion Fluence Functions in Ion Irradiation of Semiconductors. Radiation Effects 42(3-4), 159-168, (1979).
Follow this link for the Windows 10/11 published installation for SUSPRE. It should be set to provide automatic updates once installed.
Thanks for your interest!